This recipe was inspired The Buddhist Chef (one of my favorite vegan chefs – if you haven’t already, go check him out!).
TVP, what’s that? Textured Vegetable Protein. It’s basically dehydrated soy flakes that look like crushed corn flakes! If you like the idea of vegan meals that resemble and even taste like the meat alternative, then you should definitely try this! It’s also great for entertaining friends and family members that are not vegan or vegetarian. The texture is crazy similar to ground meat and it absorbs the flavors of the seasonings you use! My main uses for this would have to be taco meat and Italian style meat sauce.
- 1⅔ cups of dry TVP
- 3 cups of water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup of your favorite salsa (canned tomatoes work well too)
- ¼ cup of soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 tsp of maple syrup (optional - omit if you don't like sweet flavors intermingled with savory)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (or 4 tablespoons if you make your own)
- 2 tbsp oil (olive, coconut, avocado)
- Place the TVP in a large bowl and cover with 3 cups of water. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat
- Saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic, stir, and saute for 1 minute, until fragrant
- Add in the rehydrated TVP, salsa, soy sauce, maple syrup, and taco seasoning
- Stir and cook over medium-high, or high heat, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the TVP resembles taco meat. About 15-20 minutes
- Taste and adjust salt to your liking
- Serve hot as a taco filling
I love pairing this “meat” with the Spicy Black Beans to make loaded tacos. Don’t forget to make the Avocado Lime Crema for that sour cream substitute – it’s perfect for taco night! If you want to get a little crazy make a Taco Bell inspired Double Decker using the black beans in between the hard and soft shells!!! You know I did that!