These Veggie Wraps really saved me when I first transitioned to a vegan diet. Do you have a minute for story time?
OK, so it was exactly my 3rd day doing the 22 Day Vegan Challenge and you will NEVER believe where I was going – Disney’s Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. You’re probably thinking: “Isn’t that where you go to indulge in all things delicious?” The answer is YES! The park was busier than I’d ever seen it and there was delicious food around EVERY CORNER! Out of 100+ options, there were only 2 or 3 vegan dishes. So sad.
If you know me, you know I did tons of research prior to going. I checked nearly every menu for each country represented and I knew I was going to be challenged. My thoughts at this point:
- Do I cheat just one day?
- Do I start the challenge a few days later than everyone else in the challenge group on Facebook?
- Do I reach out to my ‘vegan sponsor’ (my brother Bart) and ask for advice?
I definitely confided in my brother and his answer/tip was so much simpler than I ever would have imagined. He said two words: PACK FOOD. Wow (mind blown)! Really?! Here is what was racing through my head when I heard that:
- I’m going to be one of THOSE people?
- But I’m a foodie and everyone knows I secretly LOVE everything I am seeing at a food festival like this!
- Is this going to be possible? There will be so much temptation all around!
I did forget to mention one thing, my brother was going to be joining us on this trip! THANK GOODNESS! I took a deep breath, and decided I have no option but to pack food and continue on a path that will lead to success (cheating on day 3 sounds a lot like FAILURE to me!).
This is where these colorful wraps come in the play…LIFE SAVERS! Between the two of us we packed about 8 wraps and 4 sandwiches. We ate like KINGS that day, well, that’s what it felt like because without preparation we would have been starving (and most likely sick from too many chips and protein bars)! In the end, we had an awesome time and didn’t feel like we missed out!
There are NO RULES here…whatever you’ve got is a GO! All of the ingredients I list below are optional, I encourage you to get creative – I’m just dropping this post for inspiration!
- Your favorite wrap
- Your go-to hummus
- Spring mix or spinach
- Red Onion
- Carrot shreds
- Bell pepper
- Kalamata olives
- Chia seeds
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Spread a generous amount of hummus over the entire wrap
- Start with a good amount of greens and top with your favorite veggies
- Add chia seeds and finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette
- Roll it up and enjoy!
*Link to Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe*