Say goodbye to store bought pesto for good! This Vegan Spinach Pesto recipe is easy to whip up (5 minutes), tastes better than the store bought version, and looks much prettier. Look at that green though!?
This pesto can be easily frozen (I recommend using an ice cube tray to freeze and then store in a zip lock bag), that way you can thaw out a cube or two when you need just enough to make a grilled cheese sandwich, pizza, a wrap, pasta…the possibilities are endless!
The recipe calls for 1 part basil and 2 parts spinach, this however, can be tweaked depending on what you have on hand…I decided to add spinach for several reasons, two of which are: 1) I always have spinach on hand and 2) You end up with more pesto…and who doesn’t want MORE of this magical paste? You still get that strong herby flavor of the basil, but you’re also getting a ton of nutrients from the spinach (dietary fiber, protein, SO MANY vitamins and minerals). Don’t have spinach? Try kale! Don’t have pine nuts? Try almonds! Don’t have nutritional yeast? WHATEVER – it’s still going to taste bomb. Promise!
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil
- 2 cups (loosely packed) spinach (or kale)
- ¼ cup pine nuts (almonds or walnuts are great alternatives)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ tsp sea salt (plus a few more pinches to taste)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a paste forms
- Scrape down the sides and pulse again
- Taste, adjust flavor by adding salt and/or lemon juice/zest as needed